Friday, May 27, 2016

Sentence Basics

I've been reading 'How to Write a Sentence' by Stanley Fish, and I've devised an exercise in response to some of the first chapters.
The first step is to write a simple sentence with doer, doing, done to, such as Sam ate lunch.  Then this is expanded to 30-40 words or 100 words.  At this point, it becomes the assignment to make sure that all the added phrases, information, flights of fancy or whatever has been written, connect with any of the first three words.  If and when they don't, it is up to me to fix that. 

A second assignment that I've added is to take a longer sentence from an author I admire (Alice Munro) and pick out the simple three or four words that are at the core. 

Magpie

The objective is to practice a sentence form.  So far, so good.