Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Duration of Enthusiasms


I’ve taken on some large projects concerning my writing lately.  And one of the things that I’ve discovered is that there is a maximum duration for my enthusiasm.  I am a sucker for variety and the next new idea, so ideally I would have a plan that would provide me with those very things.  Unfortunately the moment I might tire of something is a little hard to predict. 

The next part of this is if slow and steady win the race, what does moodiness and impulsiveness bring you?  If I am going to reach my writing goals, I have to understand my weaknesses but I also have to become stronger as well. 

I’ve come to the conclusion that I might be approaching this from the wrong direction.  I do not need a plan to avoid the enthusiasm slumps.  I need a plan to push my way through or discover a creative way to let the project pull me along.  Others have managed this, so can I.  I hope to think of my enthusiasm duration as being on a graph and while there will be ups and downs; I want the line to stay above zero.  Onward.