Saturday, February 21, 2015

Alberta Views Short Story Contest

Some time ago, I promised myself that I would enter Alberta Views Short Story Contest each year.  Which I have done.  The entry fee gives you a year subscription to the magazine so it's a win-win deal.  On Thursday, at the close of a writing project, I decided it was time to pick out my entry for 2015.  It had to be a story under 3000 words and one that isn't at any markets currently. 
I thought I would be choosing a story from the first draft files.  I would have to revise and polish until I was satisfied, but the hardest part (the first draft) would be done.  But I've chosen a story I wrote some 15 years ago from the days when I wasn't aggressively marketing.  I still have to revise and polish until I am satisfied.  I've learnt a bit about writing since this story was new and I think it will be interesting to see how it turns out. 
Tip - if you are entering a contest do it as soon as you can.  The judges have fresh eyes for the first stories submitted. 
Good luck to me!