Some time ago, I promised myself that I would enter Alberta Views Short Story Contest each year. Which I have done. The entry fee gives you a year subscription to the magazine so it's a win-win deal. On Thursday, at the close of a writing project, I decided it was time to pick out my entry for 2015. It had to be a story under 3000 words and one that isn't at any markets currently.
I thought I would be choosing a story from the first draft files. I would have to revise and polish until I was satisfied, but the hardest part (the first draft) would be done. But I've chosen a story I wrote some 15 years ago from the days when I wasn't aggressively marketing. I still have to revise and polish until I am satisfied. I've learnt a bit about writing since this story was new and I think it will be interesting to see how it turns out.
Tip - if you are entering a contest do it as soon as you can. The judges have fresh eyes for the first stories submitted.
Good luck to me!
Links to Published Short Stories
- Otherwise Engaged
- The Hoarder Gene
- Laundry Day
- Paper Promises
- Not So Alone, Not So Crazy & Genealogy Peace
- Day Zero
- Bardo the Between
- 'Hyde & Sons' at Spadina Literary Review
- 'Memories by Design' at Black Dog Review
- 'Black Mirrors' at The Coachella Review (Blog)
- 'Afterimage' at Danforth Review
- 'The Tag' at Human Touch Journal Page 92
- 'Winter Count' at South 85 Journal
- 'On Behalf of Women' at Necessary Fiction
- 'The Audit' at Summerset Review
- 'The Woman's Battalion of Death' at Danforth Review
- 'Second Job' at Prairie Journal
- 'Flashover' at Necessary Fiction
- 'Gladiolas' at The Danforth Review
- 'Nothing in the Cupboard' at SNReview
- 'It's Not Natural' at SNReview
- 'On the Verge' at Pif Magazine
- 'Shaving Fate' at The Squawk Back
- 'Trumps A Spade' at Fiction 365
- Liz's Lymphedema Logbook