Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Under the Gibbous Moon


 
What happens next is the question I sometimes ask myself while writing fiction.  Discovering the answer can be surprising.  That’s one of the joys of writing. 

Now what happened next after my post of enthusiasm deficit is not fiction but still quite surprising. 

 

I was in a slump but I did what I could to take stock with my ‘model the master story tellers’ project and distill a new technique to go forward.  It was coming together but I still felt like I needed more time to read and think.  Then a random, small item about the moon surfaced in my reading.   It named eight phases of the lunar orbit and coupled those with eight directives, not unlike horoscope capsule advice in nature.  With nothing better to think about I found that the moon was at the time in the Gibbous phase and to my surprise, I was 100% following the directives listed. 

 

GIBBOUS – analysis to determine what is needed in order to advance, attention to technique.   

 

And the full moon which follows the Gibbous phase has been assigned this directive. 

 

FULL - receptivity, the need to be flexible and fulfill the structural patterns laid down in the previous phase, the form giving way to content.

 

Sometimes my vague sense of direction is given words and wings but did the Gibbous moon have anything to do with it?  Hmmm.