Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Market List Fluctuates

Towards the end of each month in 2015, I intend to submit my fiction to the marketplace.  The stories are as complete as I can make them, so out they go.  Firstly I have to check each market to see if they have changed the rules, or they may have closed to submissions for a time period, or...the list goes on.  Unfortunately my list of potential markets shrunk this month,  alarmingly, because of the magazines or e-zines closure.  Done.  Kaput.  Not good for the number game that is submissions.  I send each story to five markets at a time (if possible) and then as they come back they are sent to five more.  I chose five because if my work is accepted in a market, I only have a few markets to notify.  And I will send to markets that disallow simultaneous submissions although that is not my first choice.  But back to the number of markets, shrunk as they were; it is obvious that I will also have to search for new markets on a monthly basis too.  And this is part of the marketing scene as well.